** U.S. FEDERAL LAW REQUIRES YOU TO BE A U.S. CITIZEN TO TAKE THIS CLASS. YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO SHOW A FORM OF CITIZENSHIP ON THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS**
This course will cover the fundamentals of the shotgun, which is by far the most versatile of the weapon systems available. The class is designed to ground students in the fundamentals of shooting, as to master anything, one must first master the fundamentals. This course will teach students how to effectively employ their shotgun in a violent encounter; during the training you will develop the skills needed to be a proficient shooter, while learning to excel in the mechanical manipulation of your weapon system. The course will focus on safety, mindset, fundamentals, ammunition selection, immediate and remedial action, round placement, target acquisition and self-confidence.
The instruction emphasizes the natural progression of each individual student. Our instructors focus on understanding your unique strengths and weaknesses, and strive to develop your individual skills. We begin with an initial assessment of each student and progress according to skill level. The objective of this course is to familiarize the shooter with the essential elements of effective shooting in order to build the shooter’s fundamentals to a proficient level. You will leave here both confident and proficient in handling and manipulating their weapon system.
- Mindset – understanding the effects of stress and how to overcome them.
- Characteristics and nomenclature of shotguns
- Fundamentals of Marksmanship – grip, stance, sight management, trigger control, breath control and follow through
- Ammunition selection – Understanding the differences between the different ammunition types and learning how to use your shotgun as a system
- Presentation – Target acquisition and multiple threat engagement
- Immediate and Remedial Action – Identifying and eliminating malfunctions
- Reload Techniques – Speed and Tactical
- Optics and Slings
- Reaction – assessing your situation and acting in a controlled, effective and deliberate manner
- Misc. Equipment Selection
For Course Dates please see events page below.
Participants: 10 Students ages 18 and Up
Duration: 4 hours, (2) 2-hour sessions broken out over (2) days
Ammunition Requirements: 100 rounds of slug, 100 rounds of 00 buckshot.
Required Gear: Pump action or semi-automatic shotgun (optic optional), sling, shell holders, eye protection, and ear protection. **
Recommended Gear: Drop Pouch, Pen, Paper, Cleaning Kit
Skill Prerequisites: N/A
Valid forms of Citizenship Identification: Voter Registration Card, Passport, Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization
**All equipment, to include shotguns, is available for rent at SEG.